NEW YORK — Comcast Cable has terminated ties with The New York Post after the newspaper accused it of publishing “false and defamatory” and “insulting” comments made by a top official with the company.
Comcast spokeswoman Susan E. Dolan confirmed in a statement to CNNMoney that Comcast had decided to sever ties with “a publication that is no longer a part of our editorial process and that has engaged in repeated, malicious, and defaming attacks against Comcast.”
The Post said on Monday that it had reached an agreement with Comcast to stop publishing the newspaper’s articles.
The company, however, has not commented on the allegations.
The Times said the company had used an “unnamed person” to conduct an investigation into a comment by a senior Comcast executive.
The Post said the person was a former Comcast executive who was hired in 2010.
The company has long maintained it is not a news outlet and does not publish articles by reporters.
The newspaper’s editorial board has rejected Comcast’s claims that it is merely a media company.
The newspaper’s publisher, Judith Miller, wrote in an op-ed published in The New Yorker that she was appalled by the newspaper reporting on the New Yorker article.
The article, titled “A New York City Mayor’s Fearmongering on Cable,” was published last year.
The piece is critical of the New Jersey-based cable company’s business practices and alleged that Comcast was using an expensive program to give customers discounts when they purchased cable TV packages.
The New Yorker piece sparked a firestorm of criticism from members of Congress, journalists and consumer advocates.
The story also generated backlash from Comcast, which was among the largest recipients of media campaign contributions from the campaign groups supporting President Donald Trump.